Add a Deck to Make Your Above Ground Pool Look Amazing
When it comes to enhancing the beauty and functionality of your above ground pool, few additions can rival the impact of a well-designed pool deck. A pool deck not only provides practical benefits but also transforms your outdoor space into a stunning oasis.
In this guide, we'll explore the functional and aesthetic aspects of pool decking for above ground pools, discuss various materials, designs and ideas, and provide insights on DIY versus professional installation and maintenance.
How can you make your above ground pool look and feel luxurious with a new deck?
Above ground pools have come a long way, and they no longer resemble their simple, uninspiring ancestors. Today, homeowners have a plethora of options to choose from, including deck designs that can elevate the entire pool area. Let's dive into why a deck is perfect for an above ground pool and how it can make your pool look amazing.
The Functional and Aesthetic Aspects of Decking
Creating Usable Space: One of the primary functions of a pool deck is to provide additional usable space around your pool. This allows you to set up lounge chairs, tables, and even a barbecue area.
Ensuring Safety: A well-designed deck serves as a safe path around the pool, reducing the risk of slipping on wet grass or dirt.
Assisting with Drainage: Properly constructed decks can help with water drainage, preventing puddles around your pool after rain, or even flooding.
Home Value: A beautifully designed deck can increase the resale value of your home. It's a feature that many homebuyers find attractive, as it offers a space for relaxation and entertainment.
Entertainment Space: Your deck creates a designated space for entertaining friends and family. It's perfect for poolside parties, barbecues, or simply enjoying a quiet evening by the water.
Inground Effect: By building your deck slightly above ground level and having it wrap around your pool, you can achieve the coveted inground pool effect. This not only looks stunning but also makes accessing your pool more convenient.
Choosing the Right Deck Design
Designing the perfect deck for your above ground pool involves careful consideration of various factors, including aesthetics, functionality, and budget. Here, we'll explore different deck designs, materials, and essential features to help you make an informed choice:
- Wraparound Deck: A wraparound deck encircles the entire pool, providing ample space for lounging, sunbathing, and entertaining. This design maximises functionality and aesthetics.
- Single-Side Deck: If space is limited, consider a single-side deck that runs along one side of the pool. This design allows for easy access and creates a clean, streamlined look.
- Multi-Level Decks: Multi-level decks create visual interest while optimising functionality. You can designate specific areas for various activities like dining, sunbathing, and relaxation.
- Platform Deck: For a minimalist look, a platform deck partially covers the pool, leaving one end exposed for entry. This design offers a sleek and modern aesthetic.
Choosing the Right Design:
- Budget: Determine your budget for the deck project, including materials, labour, and maintenance costs. This will influence your choice of materials and design complexity.
- Aesthetics: Consider your personal style and preferences when selecting deck materials and designs. Choose options that complement your home's architecture and landscaping.
- Maintenance: Assess your willingness and ability to perform deck maintenance. Some materials, like composite decking, require minimal upkeep, while wood may need regular care.
- Safety: Prioritise safety by including features like safety gates, proper railing systems, and slip-resistant surfaces in your deck design.
- Local Regulations: Check local building codes and regulations related to pool decks, safety barriers, and other requirements. Ensure your deck design complies with these rules.
- Professional Help: If you're unsure about design or construction, consider consulting with a professional deck builder or contractor who specialises in pool decks.
By carefully considering these factors and combining your personal preferences with practical considerations, you'll be better equipped to choose the right pool deck design and materials that will enhance your above ground pool area for years to come.
Best Materials for Above Ground Pool Decks
The choice of materials for your pool deck is crucial, as it affects both aesthetics and longevity. Here are some popular options:
Tiles & Pavers
Ceramic or porcelain tiles are known for their elegance and resistance to water. They come in various patterns and colours, allowing you to customise your deck's appearance.
Natural stone or pavers offer a timeless, elegant appearance and excellent slip resistance. They can complement various architectural styles. The installation process can be more labour-intensive.
Concrete, similarly, is durable and versatile, offering a wide range of design possibilities. It can be stamped, stained, or textured to achieve various looks.
Natural wood decking provides a classic, warm look. While it requires regular maintenance, many homeowners appreciate its timeless beauty.
Pressure-treated timber is a cost-effective choice, known for its durability and resistance to decay. However, it may require regular maintenance, including staining and sealing.
Cedar or Redwood are natural wood options that are naturally resistant to decay and insects. They provide a warm and rustic appearance but, like other wood options, need regular maintenance.
Composite decking offers the beauty of wood without the maintenance. It's resistant to rot, fading, and warping. While it's initially more expensive, it can save you money in the long run.
PVC decks are highly durable and resistant to moisture, making them an excellent choice for pool environments.
DIY vs. Professional Installation
Deciding whether to embark on a DIY deck project or hire professionals depends on your expertise and available time. While DIY projects can save money, professional installation ensures quality and adherence to local building codes. Be sure to obtain any necessary permits before starting your project.
Maintaining Your Pool Deck
Proper maintenance is essential to ensure your pool deck stays in top shape. Regular cleaning, sealing (for wood and concrete), and inspection for wear and tear are key practices for long-lasting decks. Investing in proper care will extend the life of your deck and keep it looking amazing. Again, you may choose to either do this yourself, or hire professionals to do the maintenance.
More Ideas for Features and Aesthetics
When it comes to designing your above ground pool deck, creativity knows no bounds. These suggestions aim to enhance the functionality, aesthetics, and enjoyment of your pool area:
Consider incorporating built-in seating directly into your deck's design. These benches or seating walls not only save space but also provide convenient places to relax, chat, or sunbathe without the need for additional furniture. You can further enhance comfort with weather-resistant cushions.
To create a serene and intimate poolside experience, install privacy screens or panels. These can be constructed from materials like lattice, bamboo, or even slatted wood. Not only do they add privacy, but they also act as decorative elements that break up the visual monotony of large expanses of decking.
Protecting yourself from the sun's rays is essential, especially during scorching summer months. Consider adding shade structures like pergolas, retractable awnings, or even large umbrellas. These additions provide relief from the sun while adding architectural interest.
Extend the usability of your pool deck into the evening by incorporating outdoor lighting. Options include string lights, pathway lights, and LED deck lighting. Illuminating the deck not only enhances safety but creates a cosy ambience for nighttime gatherings.
Integrate greenery into your deck design with potted plants, planter boxes, or raised garden beds. Surrounding your pool with lush vegetation softens the decking, adding a touch of nature to your outdoor space - especially in suburban areas without much greenery.
Consider the soothing sound of running water by incorporating water features into your deck, such as a cascading fountain or a decorative pond. These elements can enhance the tranquillity of your pool area, and can even be included in the pool or run off into the pool.
For those who love entertaining, a poolside bar can be a fantastic addition. You can opt for a small tiki bar with a thatched roof or a more permanent structure with seating. It's a great way to keep drinks and snacks within arm's reach.
Fire Pit or Fireplace
To extend the pool deck's usability into the cooler months, consider adding a fire pit or outdoor fireplace. These elements not only provide warmth but also create a cozy, inviting atmosphere for gatherings.
Enhance the aesthetics of your pool deck by using decorative finishes on your chosen materials. Stamped concrete or textured pavers can mimic the look of natural stone or brick, adding character and visual interest to your deck.
If you plan to store pool equipment or accessories on your deck, include built-in storage solutions such as benches with lift-up lids.
Safety & Accessibility Additions
- Safety Gates: Install a self-closing and self-latching safety gate to prevent unauthorised access to the pool area, enhancing safety, especially if you have children or pets.
- Railing Systems: Choose a sturdy and visually appealing railing system to enhance safety and aesthetics. Options include wood, aluminium, and composite railings.
- Steps and Entry: Plan for easy entry into the pool with steps or a gently sloping entry. Built-in pool steps or a ladder can be integrated into the deck design.
- Pool Fence: Consider installing a pool fence around the deck to enhance safety and comply with local regulations.
A well-designed deck can completely transform your above ground pool, turning it into a stunning focal point in your outdoor space. Whether you prefer the timeless appeal of wood or the low-maintenance benefits of composite materials, your deck will not only enhance functionality but also elevate the overall aesthetics of your pool area.
Are you ready to elevate your above ground pool to a level of luxury that excites and inspires? Contact us today to discuss how our experts can help.