Outdoor Entertainment Area Design Ideas
Summer is almost here ...
Summer is fast approaching. We have already seen the SE Queensland temperatures rise above 30 degrees in September. It is going to be another long, hot summer and that means one thing - we will be spending a lot more time entertaining outside to make the most of those evening breezes and the perfect Queensland climate we live in.
How is your outdoor entertainment area looking? Are you ready for Summer? Or does your outdoor area need some love and attention and a much needed makeover to create the perfect entertainer zone? Maybe you really want a pool with some decking or a patio roof installed.
What do you plan to use the entertaining area for?
This might seem a simple question, but there are many different uses for an outdoor entertainment area. Informal after work meetings, intimate catch ups with family and friends, a complete outdoor kitchen setup, a safe undercover area for the kids and grandkids to play, a chill out zone by the pool, or a quiet oasis to sit back and read or create alone or with friends.
What makes the perfect outdoor entertainment area?
Living in Queensland we are blessed with near perfect weather all year round, which is ideal for outside entertaining. When planning your entertainment area you want to consider some important points:
- Aspect - does the entertainment area face to the east or the west? If it does there will be times during the day where sun will flood this area. Shade cloths and roller blinds may be useful to block out the majority of the sun in the morning or late afternoon.
- Wind and rain direction - if your deck is located in a position where you may suffer with directional rain and strong winds then you may want to look at transparent screens to protect against the unpleasant weather conditions.
- Floor surface - concrete or decking on the floor will give you a flat and level surface. The area will be safer, and it will also be easier to maintain the floor and keep it tidy and clean.
- Spacing - consider the layout of furniture in the area and also the direction of smoke if cooking. You want to have enough space to safely walk around the area and not have flammable furniture located next to the BBQ.
- Access to the home - convenient access from outside to inside is important. It will make entertaining simple as it will be easy and fast to bring food and utensils out, and dirty dishes in when finished entertaining.
- Ambience - Design the entertainment deck to include planter boxes, lighting, seating and privacy screens. This all adds to the ambience of the entertainment area to set the mood.
- Furniture - a dining setting is a must for entertaining, but did you want formal or casual? You could also consider adding some couches to create a separate zone to socialise and relax with company after the meal.
Here are some more Outdoor Entertainment Area Design Ideas ...
A full length covered deck, plenty of space for entertaining. What an amazing outdoor area for summer barbecues and get-togethers.
A great open entertaining space, covered upper deck with timber balustrades. Protected from the weather and privacy screens to obscure the neighbours, lighting and fans on the ceiling for all the comforts of inside but enjoying the great outdoors.
A ground level insulated covered patio area with plenty of space for cooking, dining and relaxing. A few selected pot plants to differentiate the zone from the backyard. A great place to entertain the kids and the grown ups.
This gazebo is a great example of a separate outdoor entertaining area. Elevated above the ground with wide steps to enter the gazebo and a spacious dining area. Perfect for outside dinner parties.
Two separate decks, but one perfect home. A luxurious timber deck around the pool creates a great zone to chill by the pool. The pool deck is linked seamlessly to the raised back deck by complementing stairs. The deck has a high flyover patio that allows plenty of light and ventilation and overlooks the pool. A great area to keep an eye on the kids in the pool, having lunch or dinner outside in Summer or entertaining family and friends.
What's next ...
If you are looking to build or upgrade the outdoor entertainment area of your home, please contact us for a chat or quote. DeKing's team of experienced professionals can bring your vision to life - designing and constructing your outdoor entertainment area perfect for your home and budget.