Converting the Garage to the Perfect Home Office
Many changes have occurred over the last couple of years with Covid-19 still causing havoc around the globe. One huge change that occurred is many work places allowing employees to work from home. Initially due to enforced lockdowns, then splitting the workforce into groups to avoid having everyone affected and having to quarantine if someone contracted Covid-19, now to being flexible to work from home if isolating.
Converting the garage to an office might just be the perfect solution to make working from home a great solution.
Garages are already an enclosed space, therefore, making them the perfect area to convert into a home office.
Steps to convert the garage to an office
It's really not too hard to transform the humble garage into an amazing workspace.
Just follow these simple steps:
- Council approval - If you are planning to utilise your garage for business use, then you may need council approval when converting the garage into a habitable room. This is particularly important if you are planning on having to have employees and/or clients visiting your new office.
- Empty the garage - the garage tends to accumulate clutter and ends up being the dumping zone for many items. This step is probably the hardest part - clearing out the clutter. Sort the items into what you can get rid of and what you need to keep. You may need to build a small outdoor shed to store items or add some shelving into the garage conversion to keep it organised. You now have a blank canvas ready to create your ideal office area.
- Access the area - survey the cleared space and figure out what you need to complete your office conversion, and also what your budget is. A quick lick of paint may be sufficient, or you may want to add extra lighting, power outlets, built-in shelving, or maybe cover the concrete floor with something more appealing.
- **Temperature control **- you need to be comfortable in your new workspace. Since garages were not designed to be lived in you may need to look at heating or cooling options to keep the workspace comfortable all year round. Check the walls and ceiling and fix any gaps, maybe consider adding drywall to insulate the area.
- Good lighting - having decent lighting in an office is very important. If the garage has a window to allow natural lighting that is a bonus. Outfit the new office space with good overhead lighting and also lighting on desks if required.
- **Check the wi-fi **- test your home wi-fi reaches and has a good connection in the garage. If not, you may need to run a cable to the new office for internet connection, or add a wi-fi extender or hotspot.
- Personalise the space - if you are going to be working from home then you will be spending a lot of time in this room. It is worth investing in a good ergonomic chair and desk, but also add some warmth with furniture and throw rugs. Add ambience to the zone, hang pictures and photos of scenery or warm and bright images. A great vibe equals great productivity!
You may find it difficult to visualise what a garage converted to an office could look like, especially when the garage contains your car, bicycle, mower, gardening equipment, paint tins, etc.
Here are some amazing examples of garage conversions that create the perfect office at home. It doesn't matter whether single or double garage - you can create an amazing office to enjoy working from the comfort of your own home.
Contact DeKing Decks for advice
To discuss your garage conversion or room additions, or to get a quote, contact David at Deking Decks.
**Servicing: Brisbane, Redlands, Bayside, Logan, Ipswich, Moreton Bay, Gold Coast, Lockyer Valley and Scenic Rim areas. **